"All my life I've tried to be the good guy, the guy in the white fucking hat. And for what?  For nothing.  I'm not becoming like them; I am them."


70s era.. True story of a cop who went undercover to infiltrate the mob and doing that isn't going to be easy.  What was supposed to be simple did not plan out the way he thought. Juggling married life and police work is a tough job to handle.  Johnny Depp never fails to amaze audiences with his portrayals and this one is no exception. He is a master of his craft, he can be anyone he wants to be: A cop, a wise guy, or a family man (or even a bloody pirate in another movie).  Similarly, Al Pacino gives us a taste of what he's best at and that is acting as a member of the mafia family like what he did in Godfather. Who doesn't love that movie?

The film gives an inside look of the dirty business and the ropes of being an untouchable member of the society.  Cadillacs, Lincolns, booze, women, leather jackets, rolled up cash, invincibility, fortune, danger; these are some of the things making up a wise guy's lifestyle. Some, I think will develop a sense of belonging upon viewing of this masterpiece (I know I did). For one, dealing with problems is a walk in the park for a mob guy.  A wise guy never pays for his drinks, he uses uses the words "forget about it too many times", in fact they have their own terms, a wise guy is never wrong, even when he's wrong.. he's still right. The mob boss is feared and nobody doesn't want to get whacked by the boss.  To them, it is the ultimate status--to belong to that group.  If I belong with them, I want to look good like Johnny Depp-good.

 I got carried away. In fact, if this was an HBO series then  I'd say I'll be watching it every single day.

Score: 5 out of 5

Director>> Mike Newell
Stars>> Al Pacino, Johnny Depp and Michael Madsen
Writers>> Joseph Pistone(book), Richard Woodley(book)